- Monthly Zoom calls facilitated by the STP Team with shared note-taking in Google Docs. STP Team will take responsibility for cleaning up notes, sharing afterward.
- Two one-day face-to-face meetings twice a year facilitated by STP Team. Will try to attach these to other face-to-face activities already happening. Meeting locations will generally rotate between East Coast, West Coast, and Midwest.
- Expectation is that Design Team members try to make every call and meeting, understanding that sometimes this won’t be possible. If they have to miss, Design Team members will commit to reviewing notes, sharing feedback on mailing list or as comments in the notes themselves.
- General goal is rough consensus. Avoid formal group decisions as much as possible. Instead, favor “do-acracy” — decisions made by individuals stepping up and acting. When more formal group decisions are required, each organization gets one vote. If there isn’t a quorum on a call or if the decision is being made asynchronously, proposals will be shared on mailing list. Design Team members will have two weeks to review, discuss, and vote.
- There must be two Core Participants from each participating organization
- Every Core Participant will go through an on-boarding process (see below)
- If someone has to drop out, will do an “exit interview” with buddy so that we can document, integrate what they’ve learned from this process
- Participants will be expected to do their best to engage in the activities outlined by the Design Team.
- Participants will be encouraged to self-organize and to act as they see fit without requiring “permission” from anyone else. Our only request is that they share what they’re doing, so that the rest of the group can see this and learn from it.
- Participants will be asked to follow and contribute to a public website and mailing list.
All Core Participants must be onboarded before participating. Someone from the existing Core will volunteer to be their buddies for the onboarding process. Onboarding will consist of two parts: orientation and long term power building.
- Meet with buddy. Get to know each other, review larger purpose, discuss working agreements
- Meet with someone from STP Team. Review tools and protocols
- Review written materials. Ask questions
Long-Term Power Building
- Review existing materials on long-term power building. Ask questions
- Have three pair conversations with other Core Participants (including buddy). Share your theory of change around long-term power building, discuss what’s worked and what hasn’t. Determine where you’re aligned and where you’re not.
- Create visual and short accompanying narrative that articulates your theory of change. You should feel high degree of confidence that your three conversation partners understand your theory of change.
- There will be artifacts that come out of every engagement. They’ll range from detailed to light and high-level, and they may take different forms, from traditional notes to a single photograph. These artifacts will be shared on a public website accessible to anyone. Because of this, we will be sensitive about what gets captured and shared.